south indian // dry beetroot curry
what do i need? (lots of things...)
2 large beetroots, grated
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
10 fresh curry leaves
1 whole red chilli
1/2 green chilli, chopped (seeds removed)
1 tsp fresh ginger, diced
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup desiccated coconut, toasted
salt, to taste
spice mix (combine me)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
what do i do?
- heat coconut oil in a large pan, add mustard seeds, fry for 10 seconds, then add cumin seeds and stir.
- when cumin starts to sizzle, add onions & curry leaves, cooking for several minutes until they soften and brown.
- throw in green chilli, whole red chilli and ginger, cooking for a minute.
- add spice mix and fry for 30 seconds, careful not to burn.
- throw in shredded beetroot and approx. 1 tsp salt.
- add 1/4 cup water and cook with a lid for 10-15 minutes or until beetroot softens, checking and stirring regularly (if beetroot is sticking, add a little more water). if water is sitting in the bottom of the pan, evaporate with the lid off.
- mix in the toasted coconut, add salt if needed and serve hot or cold.